Saturday, November 14, 2015

By Small and Simple Things

I wanted to share an experience where someone did a small act of service for me, but it meant a lot to me.  I was shopping with my 2-year-old (which, as you can imagine, was not going well) and she was currently throwing a giant tantrum.  I was wearing my angry face while trying to find all the things on my list as fast as possible to get home.  When I was suddenly on the receiving end of a hug, I was caught completely by surprise.  I had been so busy worrying about my daughter, I hadn't noticed a sweet woman from my church.  But she had noticed me.  She said some kind words, most of which I didn't take note of, and we went our separate ways.  It lifted me a bit, to know that she noticed me struggling and didn't judge, just hugged.  This would have been a great experience had it ended there, but it didn't. 

That afternoon, she stopped by our home with a plate full of delicious cinnamon rolls.  More than the treat, however, it was the words she spoke that made this service meaningful.  She said exactly what I needed to hear, she saw straight to the heart of what I felt.

 I know a lot of times I've thought I should say something or do something and changed my mind or decided it would be too embarrassing or that I didn't know how to say it.  This woman's words and actions encouraged me to not hold those kindnesses back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share any good deeds you may have "spotted".